William M Napier
William M. Napier
|Born||June 29, 1940|
|Residence||Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Known for||Redshift, Electric Universe|
William M. "Bill" Napier (born June 29, 1940 in Perth, Scotland) is the author of five high tech thriller novels and a number of serious scientific books. He received his Bachelor of Science degree in 1963 and his Doctor of Philosophy degree in 1966, both from the University of Glasgow. Napier is a professional astronomer who has worked at the Royal Observatory in Edinburgh, the University of Oxford and Armagh Observatory. He is currently an Honorary Professor of Astrobiology at Cardiff University. His research work focuses on comets and cosmology. The result of his collaboration with Victor Clube and others on the role of giant comets in Earth history is known as "coherent catastrophism". - Wikipedia
- "A theory of terrestrial catastrophism", W.M. Napier, S.V.M.Clube, Nature 282, 455 - 459 (29 November 1979)
- "The role of episodic bombardment in geophysics", Clube, S. V. M.; Napier, W. M., Earth and Planetary Science Letters, vol. 57, no. 2, Feb. 1982, p. 251-262.
- "Spiral Arms, Comets and Terrestrial Catastrophism", Clube, S. V. M.; Napier, W. M., Quarterly Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society, March 1983, vol. 23, 45-66 (Full text)
- "The Microstructure of Terrestrial Catastrophism" (1984). Royal Astronomical Society, Monthly Notices 211, 953-968, with Victor Clube (Full text)
- "Comet capture from molecular clouds - A dynamical constraint on star and planet formation", Clube, S. V. M.; Napier, W. M., Royal Astronomical Society, Monthly Notices (ISSN 0035-8711), vol. 208, June 1, 1984, p. 575-588 (Full text)
- "Terrestrial catastrophism - Nemesis or Galaxy?", Clube, S. V. M.; Napier, W. M., Nature (ISSN 0028-0836), vol. 311, Oct. 18, 1984, p. 635, 636.
- "The origin of comets", Bailey, M. E.; Clube, S. V. M.; Napier, W. M., Vistas in Astronomy (ISSN 0083-6656), vol. 29, pt. 1, 1986, p. 53-112.
- "Giant comets and the Galaxy - Implications of the terrestrial record", Clube, S. V. M.; Napier, W. M., The galaxy and the solar system (A87-34101 14-90). Tucson, AZ, University of Arizona Press, 1986, p. 260-285.
- "The cometary breakup hypothesis re-examined - A reply", Clube, S. V. M.; Napier, W. M., Royal Astronomical Society, Monthly Notices (ISSN 0035-8711), vol. 225, April 1, 1987, p. 55P-58P (Full text)
- "Coherent catastrophism", Asher, D. J.; Clube, S. V. M.; Napier, W. M.; Steel, D. I., Vistas in Astronomy, vol. 38, Issue 1, pp.1-27
- "Terrestrial catastrophism and galactic cycles" (1989) in Catastrophes and evolution: Astronomical foundations; Proceedings of the 1988 BAAS Mason Meeting of the Royal Astronomical Society, Oxford, England, Sept. 6, 1988 (A90-44210 19-88). Cambridge, England and New York, Cambridge University Press, 1989, p. 133-167.
- "Evidence for redshift periodicity in nearby field galaxies" (1991) Guthrie, B. N. G.; Napier, W. M., Royal Astronomical Society, Monthly Notices (ISSN 0035-8711), vol. 253, Dec. 1, 1991, p. 533-544. (full text)
- "Redshift periodicity in the Local Supercluster" (1996) Guthrie, B. N. G.; Napier, W. M., Astronomy and Astrophysics, v.310, p.353-370 (full text)
- Are Impacts Correlated in Time? (1994). In Gehrels, Tom (ed.) (1994). Hazards Due to Comets and Asteroids, University of Arizona Press. ISBN 0816515050. pp. 463-478; with D.I. Steel, D.J. Asher and W.M. Napier.
- "Quantized Redshifts: A Status Report", Napier, W. M.; Guthrie, B. N. G., Journal of Astrophysics and Astronomy, Vol. 18, p.455 (full text)
- "NEOs and Impacts: the Galactic Connection" (1998) Napier, W. M., in Dymanics of Comets and Asteroids and their Role in Earth History, Proceedings of a Workshop held at the Dynic Astropark 'Ten-Kyu-Kan', 14-18 August, 1997. Edited by Shin Yabushita, and Jacques Henrard. Published by Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht/Boston/London, 1998., p.59
- "The Distribution of Redshifts in New Samples of Quasi-stellar Objects", Burbidge, G.; Napier, W. M., The Astronomical Journal, Volume 121, Issue 1, pp. 21-30. (full text)
- "A statistical evaluation of anomalous redshift claims", Napier, W. M., Astrophysics and Space Science, v. 285, Issue 2, p. 419-427 (2003)
- "A mechanism for interstellar panspermia" (2004) Napier, W. M., Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, Volume 348, Issue 1, pp. 46-51 (full text)
- "Evidence for cometary bombardment episodes" (2006), Napier, W. M., Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society, Volume 366, Issue 3, pp. 977-982 (full text