Anthony L Peratt
Anthony L. Peratt
|Born||Template:Error Template:ErrorDecember 0, 1940|
|Residence||Los Alamos, NM, United States|
|Known for||Plasma, Electric Universe, Cosmology|
Anthony L. Peratt (S'60, M'63, SM'85, F'99) received his Ph.D. in electrical engineering in 1971 from the University of Southern California, Los Angeles. Earlier degrees include the MSEE, USC, 1967; UCLA, 1963-1964, BSEE, California State Polytechnic University. He was a Staff Member at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (1972-1979); a Guest Physicist at Max Planck Institut f?r Plasmaphysik, Garching, Germany (1975-1977); a Guest Scientist, Alfven Laboratory of the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm, Sweden (1985); and, at Los Alamos National Laboratory from 1981 to the present serving in the Applied Theoretical Physics Division, Physics Division, Associate Laboratory Directorate for Experimental Programs; and as Scientific Advisor to the United States Department of Energy (1995-1999) where he served a term as Acting Director, National Security, in the Nuclear Nonproliferation Directorate.
Dr. Peratt's research interests have included numerical and experimental contributions to high-energy density plasmas and intense particle beams; explosively-driven pulsed power generators; lasers; intense-power-microwave sources; particles; high energy density phenomena, Z-pinches, and inertially driven fusion target designs.
He has served as session organizer for space plasmas, IEEE International Conference on Plasma Science 1987-1989; Guest Editor, Transactions on Plasma Science, special issues on Space Plasmas 1986, 89, 90, 92, 2000, 2003; Organizer, IEEE International Workshops on Space Plasmas, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2003; Associate Editor, Transactions on Plasma Science, 1989-; Elected member of IEEE Nuclear and Plasma Science Society (NPSS) Executive Committee (ExCom), 1987-1989; 1995- 1997; GENERAL CHAIRMAN, IEEE International Conference on Plasma Science, Santa Fe, New Mexico, 1994. IEEE NPSS ExCom Vice Chairman 1997; Elected to the IEEE NPSS Administrative Committee, 1997, named an IEEE Fellow, 1999.
He holds memberships in the American Physical Society, American Astronomical Society, Eta Kappa Nu and has earned the United States Department of Energy Distinguished Performance Award, 1987, 1999; IEEE Distinguished Lecturer Award, 1993; Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters, University of Oslo Physics Department, and Norsk Hydro Kristian Birkeland Lecturer, 1995. Dr. Peratt is Author, Physics of the Plasma Universe, Springer-Verlag (1992); Editor, Plasma Astrophysics and Cosmology, Kluwer Academic Publishers (1995); Editor, Advanced Topics in Space and Astrophysical Plasmas, Kluwer Academic Publishers (1997). - Biography of Anthony L. Peratt
- Peratt, Anthony L. ?Characteristics for the Occurrence of a High-Current, Z-Pinch Aurora as Recorded in Antiquity.? IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science 31(6): 1192-1214 (2003).
- Peratt, Anthony L., J. McGovern, A. H. Q?yawayma, M. A. van der Sluijs, and M. G. Peratt. ?Characteristics for the Occurrence of a High-Current, Z-Pinch Aurora as Recorded in Antiquity Part II: Directionality and Source.? IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science 35.4 (2007): 778-807.
- Peratt, Anthony L., and W. F. Yao. ?Evidence for an Intense Solar Outburst in Prehistory.? Physica Scripta 130 (2008): 1-13.
Alternate address: PO Box 1, Los Alamos, NM 87545-0001
- 2008 - "Searching for Rock Art Evidence for an Ancient Super Aurora" (Read in full)
- 2007 - "[[Characteristics for the Occurrence of a High Current Z-Pinch Aurora as Recorded in Antiquity Part II: Directionality and Source
- 2003 - "Characteristics for the Occurrence of a High Current Z-Pinch Aurora as Recorded in Antiquity" (Read in full)
- 2003 - "The Origin of Petroglyphs - Recordings of a Catastrophic Aurora in Human Prehistory"
- 1990 - "The Evidence for Electrical Currents in Cosmic Plasma" (Read in full)
- 1988 - "The Role of Particle Beams and Electrical Currents in the Plasma Universe" (Read in full)
- 1986 - "Evolution of the Plasma Universe: I Double Radio Galaxies, Quasars, and Extragalactic Jets"
- 1986 - "Evolution of the Plasma Universe: II The Formation of Systems of Galaxies"
- 2000 - "Plasma Universe: Beyond the Big Bang" (Read in full)
- 1997 - "Advanced Topics on Astrophysical and Space Plasmas" (Read in full)
- 1995 - "Plasma Astrophysics and Cosmology" (Read in full)
- 1992 - "Physics of the Plasma Universe" (Read in full)